Friday, July 17, 2020

Regulating Your Temperature

Even the slightest change in temperature can cause those of us with MS to have a flare up... specifically heat.

So as you can imagine summer is a fun time. I've talked about this before...either my face goes numb (cool) or it feels like I'm walking through quicksand (cool) - and most recently my calf or my toes will go completely numb... either way my body sends off signals to myself that says "I'M NOT OKAY" - it's taken a lot of time for me to swallow my pride and give into the "I'M NOT OKAY SIT DOWN" mentality- it used to be, "YOU'RE FINE, KEEP GOING."

I'm starting to realize that my MS was teaching me something- it was teaching me to listen to my body when it was screaming at me - if I was too hot I would need to stop, regulate my temperature and THEN go about my day.

Being in the quarantine was kind of like my legs going numb... at first I fought it... I pushed myself to start a diet, a workout, every house project I could think of...MUST. STAY. BUSY.

Just like my MS, my body started to react - I wasn't sleeping well, my acne decided to return with all it's glory, my eye was twitching EVERYDAY-- my body was telling me to stop. It wanted me to regulate my temperature to this new environment, and give myself some time to breathe, reflect and learn.

All throughout my life I moved a mile a minute, if i was sitting down - I was being lazy. Mastering the art of relaxation was something that I didn't even think I needed as a skill.

Hardships in life are meant to teach you lessons. Having an auto-immune disease has taught me a lot. Listen to your body, take time to learn about it, what it likes and doesn't like- it's probably trying to tell you something.


Sunset over Downtown Baltimore 








No comments:

Post a Comment